Friday, August 15, 2008

Weekend Warrior my A** !!!!!!!!



I've been on Active Duty now for the past 2 years.... It was supposed to be a 12 month mobilization, When I got my orders ,, it said 545 days... Today, I am officially at my 2 year point & I still have 6 more months to go. . . .

I am what is called a "Weekend Warrior".. That means I serve in the United States Army Reserve.... Reservist work one weekend a month, (That is just a commercial, I work way more than that!!) I am not sure where this term originated from .. I believe it came from the Active Duty side of the house and the term is usually not spoken with the best of intentions.

I love weekend warriors my Daddy is a Weekend Warrior!

I started a new job a few weeks ago when my old job was replaced by a civilian.. I now work in a new office, with new soldiers who are way younger me, I out rank them by a few rockers !!! I was listening (okay eavesdropping) to my new soldiers the other day,,,, as I heard them "Weekend Warrior Bashing",,, I thought it was cute, You know you can gather a lot of information if you just keep your mouth shut, for those of you know me, know this is almost impossible for me to do. I let them go on for awhile so they could dig themselves in a little bit deeper before I decided to inform them their new NCOIC (Noncommissioned Officer In Charge) was indeed a Weekend Warrior............ wished I would of had a camera .. I added a picture that was sort of close to what I saw in their faces!!!!


I have nothing against Active Duty soldiers, I married one, I give Active Duty soldiers all the Kudo's in the world they DESERVE IT!!!!

(Insert National Anthem here)


I too was once an Active Duty Soldier, In my 16 years of military service, 7 of those years have been on Active Duty. Most Active Duty soldiers seem to feel that Weekend Warriors don't pull their fair share ....! I find this can be true with anyone in any field... not just Weekend Warriors!

I schooched my chair into the middle of the room, where I could have a full view of all my brand new baby soldiers... ( I say this because they are younger than my son) When I decided to give them a few facts about their new BOSS, I started off with, Guess what, Ya'll, I'm a Weekend Warrior.... and I am pretty darn proud of it,, The way I see it is,, I have two jobs to fulfill ... One as a Soldier in this fine Army & the other as a Flight Attendant which I adore, I wear 2 uniforms & I wear them both proudly... As a weekend warrior I have to be prepared at any given time to drop what I am doing & go serve our country!! All active duty soldierS have to do is one job, I mean how hard can ONE job be? (Just Kidding)


Being in the Army is not easy, No matter if you are Active Duty, Reserve or National Guard, it is actually hard work...To me being a weekend warrior is even harder, you have to be disciplined all while wearing two hats!
I salute all that wear a uniform & I thank you for all you do!

Love, Your Weekend Warrior

1 comment:

Blondie said...

Tanks for keeping us all safer, Ms. Weekend Warrior!! Love you!

About Me

My photo
Fort Worth, Texas, United States